Saturday, February 6, 2010

Providing Proof of Ownership for a Passport

The passport process can get very confusing when it comes to providing proof of ownership of your horse. Equine Canada asks that you provide a copy of one of the following before they will issue your horse a passport:
  • A copy of a bill of sale
  • Breed registration papers stating ownership
  • A sworn and notarized affidavit of ownership
Previously, a notary was not required to produce an affidavit to EC's standards. Starting in 2010, this has changed and the affidavit must be notarized. It is therefore in your best interests, if you have purchased your horse, to make sure that you get a bill of sale in order to avoid having to go through a notary to get a passport.

Also be sure to ask the previous owner whether the horse already has a passport. One horse is not allowed to have multiple passports so you need to be given your horse's passport by the previous owner if it already has one. If you are unhappy with your horse's passported name, don't worry! For a fee, you can send the passport to EC and have the name changed to one of your liking.

Make sure that whatever you send is a copy - no original documents!


  1. Where do I get a form for a sworn affidavit?

    1. I believe that the sworn affidavit is simply a letter that you as the horse's owner write stating that you are, to the best of your knowledge, the owner of the horse. Equine Canada requires the affidavit to be notarized, so you must then take it to a notary and have them witness your signature.